The borough of Hermigua with its 2.142 inhabitants (2005) occupies an area of approximately 40 square kilometres in the north-eastern sector of La Gomera. The most populous region of the borough is the large Hermigua Valley opening towards the north-east, whereas the surrounding mountainous hamlets of El Cedro, El Palmar, Los Acebiños and Taguluche are nowadays practically deserted settlements.
The Hermigua Valley is conventionally divided into the upper and lower part, and it comprises a number of settlements spread linearly on both sides of the main village road which leads to San Sebastián de La Gomera. This valley which once formed the native canton of Mulagua, became the place on La Gomera where the dominant class settled after the 15th century Spanish colonisation of the island.
Given the benign climatic conditions and abundant aquatic resources, since early times the Hermigua Valley specialised in the production of various export crops. The prosperous cultivation of sugar cane, which was practiced until the second half of the 16th century, was followed by wine-growing which lasted until the 18th century. In the early 20th century bananas finally took over as the major export crop, and for their export to European markets the famous Hermigua davit was built in 1909 by the local land-owners who formed the La Unión company.
The expansion in irrigation for agriculture increased the local population, which in 1940 surpassed even that of San Sebastián. However, as in other Gomeran boroughs, the agricultural crisis over the following decades resulted in a massive emigration to overseas and many terraced fields were abandoned. Currently ecotourism is seen as a feasible way out of the stagnated economy of the borough, taking advantage of its multiple natural and cultural attractions, such as the Roque de San Pedro, the El Cedro laurel woodland, the Ethnographical Museum of La Gomera, the Museum of Gofio, etc.